Smart Employee Management System
Currently biometric finger-print based access control has been replaced by smart card punching for
safer workforce authentication which can be easily bypassed, specially where numbers are
considerably high. Security Guards are standing at turnstile gates to monitor
tailgating/unauthorised access attempts in absence of any automated contact-less physical
barrier/turnstile, still multiple cases of proxy punching and unauthorised access attempts are
taking place. Unmanned automated gates have again become manpower centric cross checks with
considerably high margin of human error.
Existing Biometric Access Control Systems are fingerprint-recognition based authentication integrated
with full height turnstile gates operated on physical push post the said authentication. These
systems are getting redundant in the recent times and posing a major challenge in ensuring access
control of personnel in large industrial premises and contact-less biometric access control system
is the need of the hour for a safer authentication check of the workforce. At Vedanta with effect
from 20th Mar 2020, contact-based bio-metric attendance and access system control system was
suspended along with the removal of turnstiles.
The fundamental authorization verification-biometric attendance cum access control system was
replaced with a card-based system, where people can get access by showing their card to
At RDC, Uttar Pradesh alone around 10,000 people enter inside the plant on a daily basis. They move
in/out based on the card system, which not only increases the risk of unauthorized access but also
poses the risk of proxy punching and tailgating. This amount of high volume of manpower entry/exit
poses a high risk in the smooth functioning of the system during peak rush hours.
Profile of the End-User
Security Personnel Deployed in the industrial premises.
Functional Requirements of the End-User
- A system used to monitor contractor time and attendance by matching the contractor's
sign-in and check-out times. This can be especially useful for validating the hours
contractors claim to have worked, prior to paying them.
- A system which is based on Android / iOS app on mobile-platform to register the
attendance which will authenticate her/him based on biometrics (finger-print,
face-recognition or iris scan) and will also give the location & time stamp at the time
of registering the attendance.
- The offsite user will be able to justify his/her presence in the actual work area which
is situated away from office / plant.
- The work locations (sites and off-sites) are geo-tagged.
- Access control of personnel should be biometric authentication based and controlled
through automated gates to eliminate human monitoring and related manpower deployments
.Contactless Biometric ACS flow chart/diagram
1. Contactless Biometric Authentication through FRS or Retina Scanner
2. Contactless turnstiles/flap barriers integrated with the touch-less biometric
3. Personnel gets touchless authentication and gains access through automated touchless
- The following jobs to be done to strengthen the ACS
- Contact-less Bio-metric attendance cum access control system along with integration of
touch-less hardware like flap barrier, revolving doors etc.
- Auto IR based measurement of human body temperature along with face mask detection
system. Alarm in case of deviation.
- Sensor based & touch-less auto breath alcohol detection system integrated with access
control system, only after negative results gate shall be open for entry. Auto
alert/beep in case of alcohol intoxication.
- Auto count & display of total numbers of persons inside the plant at any given point
- Use of CCTV analytics to find out the deviations pertain to the COVID-19
- Auto alerts in case of proxy punching and tailgating.
Functional & Operational Capabilities
- In addition to functional features stated above, the system should have all other
features of a standard attendance management system
- Prevention of unauthorized intrusion/ Tailgating/ Proxy Punching
- Unmanned operations on ground with capability of detection, monitoring, automatic alarm
and prevention mechanisms like automatic door / barrier / gate closure in case of
- Safe process not involving any physical contact/touch amidst COVID-19 spread
- Contact-less attendance cum access control system integrated with hardware.
- Reliable, touch-less, more secure, high volume handling and made in India solution.
- Compliance to mask and social distancing can be observed through analytics.
- The proposed attendance system should require minimum human intervention in terms of
the number of steps in the process to get their access cleared.
- Ability to process High volume around 10000 persons within a short time period.
- Integration with existing attendance system (Savior System) - Replacement of existing
turnstile and space. - Integration of existing software like Savior, TMS & SAP.
- ACS operational efficiency in areas exposed to dust & hot weather is important in
making the system successful.
Expected Tangible Benefits and Measurable Gains
- 100% tracking and attendance records of all the manpower - onsite as well as offsite
- Transparency in efforts & man-hours calculation
- Geo-tagging based attendance
- Smooth Shift Movement
- Reduce the manual dependency
- Strengthening the gate security
- Improve the operational efficiency
- Reduction of proxy punching and tailgating cases
- Recording and tracking in case of deviation
- Compliance to COVID -19 guidelines
- Improved accuracy of temperature measurement
- Automated biometric authentication of workforce entering the premises
- High efficiency, No manual intervention needed to oversee the access process
- Safety of workforce against contagious diseases including COVID-19 by eliminating any
physical touch during plant access
Performance Metrics or Outcomes
- Good Human Resource governance
- Live count of human resource including offsite / in-field / travelling resources
- Reduced number of access violations / exceptions (aimed to be zero)
- Assurance of 100% detection of anomalies, analysis and accordingly consequence management can be further strengthened