Smart Aluminium pot parameter monitoring device
A smart device to measure the pot room parameters of aluminium smelters and perform predictive analysis on real time data in order to adjust the parameters to achieve high efficiency, reduce errors and labour intensive job, improve purity of metal obtained from the process.
Aluminium smelters employ around 600 to 1500 pots in a single manufacturing unit, the efficient production of high purity aluminium depends on basic parameters such as electrolyte temperature, quantity of additives added, electrical power. These parameters vary in their threshold limits due to the various types of cathodes used in the pot line, hence the above parameters are to be measured for each pot in the pot line. Currently the measurement of these parameters is being done manually through the usage of a portable device and quality of aluminium obtained is done on a sample basis which is not very efficient as it is labour intensive, lacks constant monitoring, leads to variance in standard deviations of parameters measured, involves health risks to the workers due to fine particles in the surrounding atmosphere.
Profile of the End-User
Existing method : Manual methods are followed for recording each parameter of the pot in potline through portable instrument and purity (concentration of aluminium) is done on a sample basis.
Gaps No accurate measurements, human error and fatigue, labour intensive, no real time data.
Functional Requirements of the End-User
- Real time pot room parameter data for each pot of the aluminium smelter unit.
- Analyse collected data and feed data to controller.
- Predict set points to adjust parameters to achieve required efficiency and metal purity
Functional & Operational Capabilities
- Constantly monitor each pot parameter such as electrolyte temperature, quantity of additives, electrical power and output aluminium concentration.
- Analyse the pot parameters and predict set points in respective parameters to achieve required output
- Alert the process in charge in case of any anomaly detected.
- High temperature and magnetic field.
- Provision to fit device
- Type of pot cathode used.
- Integration with existing aluminium pot controller
Expected Tangible Benefits and Measurable Gains
- Efficiency for the pot will improve.
- Real time data driven decision making.
- Risks to humans in measuring pot parameters is reduced.
- Improved aluminium recovery rate and purity
Performance Metrics or Outcomes
- Bath temperature to be maintained as per designated value.
- Sensitivity of the device
- purity to be maintained as per designated value