Power Generation from Flue Gas
Recovering waste heat from flue gases of blast furnaces at DSC Lead Smelter of Hindustan Zinc to generate power to meet the power requirements of the plant thereby bringing down the operational costs.
The Blast furnace at Hindustan Zinc limited outputs flue gases with temperature ranging between 600 to 800 deg C containing unburnt Carbon monoxide (CO), currently there is no system available to recover the waste heat from flue gases and to use the unburnt Carbon monoxide to produce power, the flue gas generated from the furnace undergoes few cleansing processes to remove zinc, lead and sulphur particles and released to the atmosphere. The absence of such a power harnessing system also leads the corporation to buy power from the grid there by increasing the operational costs of the plant and wastage of thermal energy resource.
Profile of the End-User
Lead / Zinc Production Plant Manager
Existing system : There is no existing system in the plant to over come the above mentioned problem.
Functional Requirements of the End-User
- Usage of flue gas heat and unburnt CO(Carbon monoxide) in flue gas to produce electrical power for the plant.
- Efficient cooling process for the flue gas
Functional & Operational Capabilities
- Utilising the waste heat for Power Generation @ 4 to 5 MW.
- Clean flue gas containing metals such as zinc and lead.
- Efficient cooling process for the flue gas through advanced heat exchange methods
- Removal of zinc and lead contaminated in flue gas
- Overall Implementation Cost & Frugality of the solution.
- Burning of unburnt CO without fusion of metal
- Prevention of lead and dross deposition on the surface of the heat exchanger.
Expected Tangible Benefits and Measurable Gains
- Effective usage of thermal energy to meet energy demands of the plants.
- The power bought from the grid can be reduced by a large margin
- More effective method of cooling flue gas, removal of few contaminants, usage of unburnt Carbon Monoxide (CO)
- Power generation with low foot print of area.
Performance Metrics or Outcomes
- Power production required equivalent to 5 Mega Watt