​​

Increase in Ferro Silicon recovery during Iron extraction

Theme: Others

Expected Pilot Duration - 2 Months

Apply Now

Challenge Summary

Ferro Silicon is added in the molten hot metal tapped from Blast furnace to convert from Steel grade to Foundry Grade quality. During the process, the yield of Ferro Silicon is only 85% max and the remaining 15% goes into the slag which is resulting in increased cost of production.

Challenge Scenario

The process of converting Steel Grade Pig Iron into Pig Iron to be used in Foundry involves adding Ferro Silicon in large quantities after melting. Currently the Ferro Silicon is not mixed & melted properly to attain the desired chemistry. As a result we have to add more ferro silicon to attain the desired chemistry of hot metal which results in increased cost of production. Improvement in recovery will help us to optimize our Ferro silicon consumption and reduce cost.

Profile of the end users

Coal Oven Team

Marketing Team - Right composition of silicon to attain foundry grade iron increases revenue

Procurement Team

Furnace Team - Right mixing of silicon in the molten iron ensures quality standards

Solution Requirements

Even dispersion of silicon & >95% recovery of Silicon from Ferro Silicon

Mixing of silicon with the iron

Quality check of the iron composition

Has to integrate with existing operatio

Ensure full safety as it involves hot metal

Installation- The process should be able to integrate with existing System

Change of Process: The system should not affect the ongoing process, should be easy to implement and adopt

Expected Outcomes

1. Quantified Metrics & Outcomes:
Operational KPIs/Metrics Current Value Expected Target Value
Ferro Silicon Recovery Rate 85% 95%
2. Qualified Outcomes:
Operational KPI/Metrics Current State Expected Target State
NA NA NA
3. ESG Impact:
ESG Metric Expected Value/State
NA NA

Join our Accelerator Program

Apply Now

​​​