Control system for production of TMT bars
A control system to maintain the yield strength of the TMT bars and to maintain the ratio of Tensile strength to yield stress at 1.15 in order to qualify according to the ISO13920 standards for construction of buildings in seismic zones and railway tracks.
In the manufacturing process of TMT bars, there is variation in the yield strength which lowers the ratio of tensile strength to yield strength than 1.15 which is required for construction purposes of buildings and railways in seismic zones according to ISO13920 standards. The variables on which the yield strength of the bar depends upon are mill speed, water pressure, temperature of quenching water used in the production process of the bars.
Profile of the End-User
TMT Production Manager: Railway construction, Civil construction in seismic zone 4.
Existing Method : Control of water pressure and mill speed
Gaps : Tensile strength to yield strength ratio not maintained above 1.15, not able to monitor chemistry of the bar
Functional Requirements of the End-User
- To maintain tensile strength to yield strength ratio of TMT bars above 1.15 according to qualification for the ISO 13920 standards
Functional & Operational Capabilities
- Control different variables of mill speed, water pressure, quenching water temperature involved in the production process of TMT bars.
- Different grades of TMT manufactured and settings need to be done accordingly.
- Availability of predetermined data to implement the right control logic
Expected Tangible Benefits and Measurable Gains
- Production of TMT bars according to the ISO 13920 standards for construction purposes in buildings and railways in seismic zones.
- Increase adoption of the product with standardised production and quality assurance.
Performance Metrics or Outcomes
- Number of TMT bars meeting standards out of the total number of TMT bars produced.